Monday, August 4, 2008

Ordeal is a noun.

I love these midnight releases. They're a scream! These high school girls had these cheerleader outfits specially made! People were wearing "Team Jacob" and "Team Edward" shirts. There were vampires and girls in prom dresses and brides! Lots of brides.

Crazy or not, I love seeing this stuff. All these people (the line was unbelievable, but not as long as Potter, of course) waiting in line and over the moon excited for a book! They all started screaming at midnight.
Screaming and hugging each other!

There was a wedding cake shaped like a chess piece (which I still don't get even after reading the book... if you figure it out, please let me know). And one of the activities was to design Bella's wedding dress... Love the red veil...



And these are my Midnight Friends. We've all read the book now... and... well...

(spoiler alert)

The dictionary says it best:

or·deal n. A difficult or painful experience, especially one that severely tests character or endurance.

gru·el·ling adj. Physically or mentally demanding to the point of exhaustion: a grueling campaign.

I could think up more, but you get the idea. It's not that it was bad per se... it's just that, well... uh... in my opinion, she's no JK Rowling. That's for sure. I'm kind of bummed that it wasn't more. I really wanted it to be more. And as I plowed on through the gazillion pages waiting for it to be over... waiting for the "good part" to finally happen (which it did around page 600 or so. I think.), I remembered that this is what the other three books were like. 3" of unnecessary ink and dead trees, and 1" of pretty good stuff. I just think she could have stopped at book 3 and been just fine.
And besides that... I won't/can't put book 4 in my library. The publisher was right. There should have been a content warning of some kind about adult content. She agreed. So why didn't they?! When I got to certain parts in the book, I couldn't help but think of all those 12-year-old girls who were standing in line and so so so so excited, and who would probably be reading the book before their mothers had a chance to. Oh I really hope they don't make a movie out of this one. I mean c'mon. Vampire babies? I'll pass.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Now I see what you have been up to. Good information on the fourth book.