When I was a little girl, I used to love to go in my mom's jewelry drawer and try everything on. My mom had some pretty cool stuff in that jewelry drawer. She'd spend hours telling me about every piece, where it came from, and the story behind it. I used to love to help her get ready for an evening out, by choosing which pieces she'd wear.One of my favorite things was an ornately carved set of cinnabar bracelets from the Orient. These lacquer bracelets were an ancient art form actually, once popular in the imperial court of China. Each bracelet started as a wooden form that was dipped in layer upon layer of lacquer and allowed to dry. The craftsmen would then hand-carve intricate dragon and flower designs. They were truly gorgeous. I loved trying them on.
When my mom died, and I was allowed to see the contents of the jewelry drawer, I was so sad to learn that they'd somehow disappeared....
Recently, however, a little miracle found its way to me... a near perfect replica set of the bracelets! Okay, so they're not the originals, but I've got a pretty amazing husband who discovered them. And I think, to me, these just might mean a little bit more.
3 comments:
I remember those bracelets. They were treasures!
I don't remember these, but she had a lot of stuff in those drawers... they were probabaly in there somewhere...
I wish that were so, but the drawer had been emptied and spread out on a table... Alas.
Post a Comment