Monday, December 14, 2009

Simply Good

This recipe originated around 1951 ~ I don't know why, but a recipe from 1951 sort of appealed to me, so I made it tonight. It smelled heavenly. And as you can see from the almost empty dish, it tasted heavenly too! The family thought it was similar to my Christmas morning breakfast egg strata. The soft bread crumbs (really tiny pieces of white bread I already had) and the milk, create a white sauce of sorts. The recipe cautions not to let your egg whites get too "dry", but I forgot how well that KitchenAid works. Needless to say, the dish turned out just fine. Next time I'll probably leave it in a bit longer, just so the top is a bit darker. It's really easy, really basic, and really good!

Souffléed Macaroni and Cheese

Serves 4 generously

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups scalded milk
  • 1 cup soft bread crumbs
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup cooked macaroni
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup diced pimento
  • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoon grated onion
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons melted butter
Directions:
  • Pour milk over soft bread crumbs; add cheese. Cover and let stand until cheese melts. Add macaroni. Combine and add beaten egg yolks, pimento, parsley, onion, salt, and melted butter.
  • Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into mixture. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2-quart casserole. Bake at 350°F until puffed and golden, about 35 minutes.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Mmmm. I think it looks really good.

Dave said...

Your Mac & Cheese looks wonderful!