Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Around the Water Cooler

Or in this case, the couches in the library (I have a very demanding job).

When we’re not talking about Bobby Sherman’s dad – the milkman – we’re talking Reality TV. So here’s our buzz….

American Idol is almost over (please win, David A.), and Survivor and Beauty and the Geek are over…. So it’s all about the upcoming Bachelorette. It’s tawdry and shallow and I watch it. So sue me. On the Bachelor, we all hoped it was to be Chelsea (even though he got rid of Noel ages ago and she would have been the best one for him), and we spent untold amounts of time discussing whose fingernail polish and thumb matched the fingernail polish and thumb of the hand he’s holding at the end. If you compared the dimples and crease lines on the thumb, we were pretty sure that it was Chelsea.… (It’s a bit pathetic that I’ve stooped this low, but there you have it). Yet if she’d won, we’d have missed the Monkey’s acting job at the end.
If it makes anyone feel any better, however, I did try and watch it with a copy of Anna Karenina on my lap. You know. In case of a commercial break. So I wouldn’t feel completely shallow. The Bachelorette starts Monday, and I’m still on chapter one… we’ll see how that goes.

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hmm, I have never been a big American Idol fan (I must be the only one in Utah who hasn't watched this season,) I only really watched when friends of mine did or when, in VA, a friend wanted me to watch it so we could talk about it at work together. Anyway, I used to work with a kid at my old pharmacy who looks quite a bit like David A. So for that reason alone, I want him to win. I haven't watched the Bachelor since freshman year! I'm on more sophisticated shows like 30 Rock The Office and Greys Anatomy... I am deep like that.

Suzie said...

You slay me!

We also watch Robin Hood on BBC America, and did watch New Amsterdam when it was on. I can't watch those medical shows. I always think I'll catch what they have.

Diane said...

I have moved all around the channels trying to find my 'television comfort zone' since coming back to the states and having more than 2 stations. The commercials still fascinate me. I am a follower. On my trip the people I was with watched Idol and so I did, too. So tonight I watched because I was thinking about them.

Does Desperate Housewives count as good TV? I can tell you this, if you watch it you will be among 'who's who' in the "in crowd". Humor, in it's many variations, is what it took to help lift many people out of the emotional aftermath of 911. The television networks came rushing in to create as many different scenarios as they could in an attempt to help heal.

For me, documentaries have to be on things that already interest me. You know, like cream cheese frosting, newborn babies, or practical cleaning strategies. For example, "Stay turned for 'Is it Vaccum or Dust first?' Listen, as our pannel of experts clean up this issue for us."

I watch Seinfield and Raymond.

Stacy said...

My 20 year old daughter could write a dissertaion on the value of "bad television"! I think it depends on your alertness and curiosity when you are watching anything. She has an exceptional vocabulary and is a really good student. For 10 years I have often asked where she learned about this or that and so often the response is "from t.v.". And then she laughs and goes in the for the shocker, "You can't imagine how much I have learned from Buffy!" She knows that will get to me. I am not a fan but I have to admit that, though the storyline is ridiculous to me, the writers are not complete illiterates, and she has proven this with examples on too many occasions.
Just this weekend, when she returned from college, we were watching a travel documentary on Italy (because we are going together this summer, hooray)in which they were discussing the works of Titian. She immediately turns to me and says, "Don't you remember in the movie 'Head Over Heels', she (the main character, a NY art restorer) was woking on The Bacchanal by Titian. In case you hae not watched HOH, it is a cute chick flick starring Freddie Prinz Jr., from which you would expect no significant merit. But the merit truly lies with the watcher. There is much to be gained by those who are vigilant to the attention to details!
Oh, by the way, I read Anna Karenina and I felt I spent far too much time on that book only to feel depressed!

Suzie said...

And that's exactly why I'm still on chapter one!

Diane said...

I don't recall that you own a copy of Anna Karenina. I'm impressed.