Friday, May 23, 2008

We’re not in Kansas anymore…

But it sure felt that way! On the way to Hannah’s shower last evening, Doug called to tell us that a tornado was spawning over Corona – right over the 15 freeway at the Ontario exit! They were watching the news and Doug says, “I can see our house!” Ohmygosh. He went outside and described the helicopters and the lightening and the rain and the swirling black clouds and the circle of perfectly clear blue sky right in the middle of it. He says, “Hmmm…that circle of blue sky is getting smaller and smaller. That could either be a good thing or a bad thing….”

Was I worried? Not at all. Nope. I just “calmly” asked him what they were going to do… I mean, what does one do in a tornado? He says, “Nothing.” “Nothing? But you’ve got to have a plan!” I calmly shrieked. I’m just so good in an emergency.

….

Hannah’s bridal shower was lovely. She’s a beautiful girl and Robbie is one lucky guy. Sue, Diane, and I had a great time. Sue won the prize for guessing how many times Hannah has twirled in her wedding dress… I’ll let you try to guess that one for yourselves! We’ll post some pictures as soon as I can get my hands on Diane’s camera.

….

Congratulations to Spencer for being sworn in today at the Utah State Bar Admissions Ceremony! We’re so proud of you!

….

Overheard today:

“Those are dangerous animals,” said first grader, Jonathan, to no one in particular, as he looked at his library book.

His teacher, who wasn’t paying much attention (she was grading papers) off handedly remarked, “Just because they’re wild, doesn’t necessarily mean they are dangerous.”

With a question in his voice, Jonathan looked up at his teacher and said, “But Shelby and David saw a coyote eat their pet cat, Spike.”

I clapped my hand over my mouth pretty quick, and the teacher, after staring at Jonathan for a full minute, looked up at the ceiling and mumbled, “25 and a half more days. I can do it.”

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

I can't believe how close that is to you! I've never seen one in person before

Stacy said...

Did you record the news showing your house in the danger zone?

Glad to hear the shower was fun. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

What other fun things are you two up to?

Suzie said...

That's actually a tornado that hit in either Moreno Valley or Riverside (not sure which). The one that was forming over our house area did have unconfirmed reports that it touched down on Ontario Ave. I thought Doug recorded the news report, I'll have to check!

We just got back from seeing Made of Honor. Good show! Wish you were here!!