Saturday, May 3, 2008

An ax and some blood...

...were pretty much all that was left of Bob's dashboard. We were just pulling out of the driveway for our Saturday Morning Drive, when we noticed Bob's car door was slightly ajar. We found an ax, some blood, and a dismantled and hacked up dashboard. The poor fool who broke in probably thought he was getting a GPS because we had the monitor...just didn't have the GPS. He wasn't the best of thieves. He gave up trying to pry the stereo out and all he got was a severely cut hand and a monitor display. He even forgot his ax.

The police lady took finger prints (just to be nice, I think), got a good chuckle out of the fact that he probably thought he was getting a great haul, told Bob it might be better if he'd stolen the entire car so he could have gotten a new one...one with better gas mileage, and got another chuckle out of the fact that our neighbor is a policeman with a K9 unit parked out front. Bob wasn't chuckling. Wincing maybe, but definitely not chuckling.

For some reason, the car alarm didn't go off, but Shadow did try to warn us. Wonderful, brave, little puppy that she is. She was barking as if her life depended on it. "Thief! Thief! Thief! Thief!" And we just shushed her and rolled over and went back to sleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i saw the title of the post i thought you were making a reference to an old post where you talked about the weird things the mattress guy has seen under people's beds. anyway, this is really frigtening! are you guys going to step up the security around the house? get a new car?

sue said...

Oh my gosh! That is so awful! Poor Shadow, she must have been so frustrated! Can they fix the car? See, now you will HAVE to clean out the garage so you can keep the car inside!

Suzie said...

Ahh yes. The bloody ax and the mattress. Let's hope these things DON'T come in three's!

We're not getting a new car... insurance will take care of the dash. We moved the car from the curb and it's now in the driveway with my car and Coach.

As for security... it really is a good neighborhood and we've got lots of lighting out there. Ijustwonderifheforgottolockthecar? Uh... I mean... these things sometimes do happen. In fact, even at Grandma's house, Diane's car was broken into -- her old blue Celica. They took the stereo (probably 8-track back then!) and all her tapes. I remember she put a note on her car in case they came back..."You can have the stereo, but please bring back my tapes!!"

(notice how I completely ignored the part about cleaning out my garage?)

Bonnie said...

I can't believe that happened. How weird. What a stupid guy to leave the axe.

Dave said...

Oh, Suzie and Bob, how terrible! I had no idea until I happened to skim Diane's, Carrie's and your blogs before going to bed. I am sure the chances of the would be thief being caught are nil. maybe he will get an infection. If it was on Kwaj the chances would be good. That is not nice. I hope you are otherwise all well.