Friday, June 20, 2008

Letters to Tracy

Eighteen years ago, my best friend, Dianna, and I began an amazing adventure when we were asked to run a fan club for an incredibly talented and genuinely kind man, singer/songwriter, Michael Feinstein. Letters to Tracy highlights some of our more memorable moments in our adventure thus far…

Dear Tracy,

We have had the greatest weekend and no one wants to hear about it... Although, Suzie did reveal a bit to her favorite check out girl at Walmart (sweet girl, no English) and since you are our new best friend (or in other words, you're "in") you're our victim.

Friday: We went to the rehearsal. We were there about 3-1/2 hours. Do you remember Ricky Ricardo's rehearsals? It was just like that...not extremely exciting, but glad we went. Michael was late...he had forgotten his suit...half way there, he had to turn back (in Massachusetts terms...it would be like backtracking from Boston to Haverhill on a Friday afternoon). Derek (assistant – his not ours), brought Coda the dog. It's a Shiatzu complete with a silver water bowl. There was a band there called, "The Big Kahuna and the Copa Catt Pack," if you like jazz, you'll love this band. They are jazz, and swing with a Hawaiian flair. Rosemary C. didn't rehearse (and after seeing her, she really could do her show in her sleep, she's sooo professional). After MF was finished, we visited for a bit. (He ate, we watched, the dog begged.)

Saturday, we went to MF's house at about 9:00 a.m. and met Ed and Mazie (his parents) there... it was a tearful reunion, to say the least. You'd love her Tracy. The home is magnificent and the memorabilia is incredible (the tour took 3-1/2 hours (she even showed us the special curtain hems)...of course the tour included two stops... one to cry to Mazie about our moms, and the other stop was to stuff our mouths with muffins in the pantry.

After the tour, we had lunch (salad, smoked tuna and pinwheels). After lunch, Suzie being the kind human being that she is... snuck upstairs with Mazie to steal her perfume and check out any Canadian table cloths that may have been brought home to nest. (Clears her throat and moves on.)

Then we made Ed give us a RRRR (Reckless Ride in the Rolls Royce).


(To read the rest of the Letter to Tracy, click read more)

Okay, this is top secret! Ed and Mazie bought a house. So we tell them we want to see it. (Backtrack... Ed and Mazie are easy to get to know, are friendly and are willing to do anything. For instance, Ed said to me I'd better go pick out a salad dressing and I walked over to the refrigerator and had no qualms about opening the door and taking what I wanted. FYI, the one I picked out Ed said was MF's favorite, so I stuck it back in because there was only a little left, and after all, salad dressing is a very personal thing. Ed said for me to take the dressing Michael didn't care.) (Don't ask what kind of dressing, I didn't pay that much attention.)

Sooooo we tell them we want to see their new house and Ed asks if we want to drive there. We tell them yes but only in the Rolls Royce. (It has always been Di’s dream to drive a Rolls through a McDonalds drive-thru and search the car for spare change at the window). So we all pile in, I called shot gun. Mazie didn't know what it meant.


So Ed starts explaining about Wells Fargo and the Wild Wild West and Mazie is confused, so Suzie tells Mazie it just means riding in the front seat (Suz had to shut everyone up so she could discuss the beverage trays that fold down in the back seat.) So as we pulled out of the driveway, I tell everyone to look straight ahead at all times so that when all the people stare at us well will look cool. (It was my first time in a Rolls. I was waiting for everyone to look at me as I drove by. The only problem was that the only other people who passed us were two Mexican gardeners).

Then what we didn't know was that Ed and Mazie bought the house four doors down! NO KIDDING! We pull into the driveway and I, being very disappointed in our short drive say, "This is IT?" And when they said yes, Suzie asked why we drove. (FYI… There was a little dent in the car on my door (when I am visiting, I've told them that's my seat), so anyway...Suzie tells me to look, I've scratched the door on my side of the Rolls. (I can now comfortably call a Rolls Royce a Rolls because I was in one for 30 seconds or so). So back to the scratch... thank heavens Ed and Mazie aren't gullible, I however needed a transfusion after my hemorrhage. So after looking at the new house we drove to Griffith Park. It was fun.


Since I'm spilling my guts, I can tell you that after the long day and all the drinking (we all went for the hard stuff... Diet Coke with caffeine), I had to go to the bathroom. It's a natural thing and everyone does it. Even MF. So what's the big deal? I don't know but Suzie wouldn't let me go. Apparently, she was doing her usual needless worry (she's giggling as I type), and was afraid that perhaps, I might clog the toilet... I informed her that even Queen Elizabeth has clogged a toilet or two in her day... Suzie put her foot down and still wouldn't let me go. Next time, I'll have to bring some Depends. (Just so you know how the story turned out, Suz drove me to HER mothers (who lives 45 minutes away) so I could go. Apparently, she doesn't care if I plug her mom's toilet. I wonder what Suz thinks I eat.) (Fast forward 4 years… Suzie actually did use the downstairs toilet before the bathroom was remodeled. There was a crack in the toilet seat and she claims that it almost pinched her and she would have had to have surgery. She got mad when I started calling her Fanny.)


Remember now, Mazie’s house is a secret, and we really do know the words to, "The Spy Who Loved Me."

Left around 2:30.

More later…
Love Suz and Di

No comments: