Sunday, June 1, 2008

Bobcats and Snakes in the backyard?

And she even thinks for a minute I'd move to Arizona? A BOBCAT! A huge big BOBCAT right at the sliding door! Those things eat people!

And a snake? A SNAKE! And when I asked what kind of snake, she blithely says, "A long one." A long one? A long one?

Seriously. And I thought Shadow's pesky bird problem was "wildlife."

6 comments:

Diane said...

The door was closed, and I firmly believe that if you ignore them they will leave. Come on, my back yard is a happening place! We saw cardnals this weekend and we get quail all the time. You would like it. I promise.

Carrie said...

Well, seeing that I was the one who viewed the bobcat and snake, I can tell you what...the snake truely could care less that we were there, and the bobcat didnt' seem too concerned, though i was very aware that the only thing seperating me and my baby from him was a thin sliding door screen.

Suzie said...

You were a snack. A mere morsal on the plate of the Arizona wildlife. I'm glad you survived the encounter.

...I wonder if that kind of snake likes to swim...

Dave said...

Suzie, it wasn't a REAL BIG snake, just a little bit big. A friend of mine took the picture and compared with types of snakes in Ariz. It looked like it was a gopher snake. They hiss, may bite, intimidate, but are not poisenous. Daniel and Carrie took a broom and ushered it out of the yeard.

Actually, this is the second I have seen. There was one in front of the driveway a few weeks ago when I came home one evening. It idid not look like a rattler either. It wa probably a gopher or a small srunning sname. I gently chased it away by tossing a few pebbles at it. I misede the bob cat, however. It would have been cool.

Suzie said...

Gopher snakes can get up to 8 feet long. It is my fondest hope you never encounter a snake that long.

And did you know that you should never grab "sticks" or "branches" while swimming? Rattlesnakes are excellent swimmers! It's my Greatest hope that you never encounter a snake while in your pool!

Just sayin.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

THIS WAS TOO FUNNY!
I lived in Tucson for about 5 years. Never saw a bobcat..but I heard the coyotes in the desert!
These comments between ya'll about the snake and the bobcat it Hysterical!
I'm just saying! :-)