Thursday, October 30, 2008

Resistance is Futile

I hate change. It doesn’t become me. I’m not very good at it. I’m just not. And there are some things that I truly have always felt weren’t meant to change.

Like books.

The book has basically been in the same form for 500 years. Ever since Gutenberg. And something that has resisted change for 500 years is not going to be easily improved.


How can you improve the book?

I adore books. The sound they make when you open them… the smell of the paper and binding… the whisper of the pages as you turn them... the amazing covers… how gorgeous they look on the shelf…. The feel of them in your hands…

Times do change, I realize this. But, the thought of technology invading the world of books is, well, hard for me to accept.

As a matter of principle, eBooks send me reeling. You can’t hold an eBook or smell it or look at it. eBooks aren’t that fun to read on a laptop or mobile phone. You just can’t read a 300 page book on that kind of devise. At least I can’t. (I don’t seem to have as much of an aversion to books on tape ~ don’t ask me why ~ however, I do think they are always read way too slow and it’s annoying.)

So, how can you improve the book? I’m just not sure you can. The hardest thing to replicate about a physical book, one of the reasons it is so elementally suited to its purpose is… it disappears.

When you’re reading a book, you’re not thinking about the ink or the paper or the feel and the cover. All those things disappear and what you’re left with is the author’s world. And for all those things that I love about books, this is the thing I love the most. Being taken to another time and place.

Is there another way to make that happen?
A few months ago I heard about the Kindle. It’s a portable, wireless book reader. You can download books, read blogs, read the newspaper. It’s the size of a paperback book and only 10 ounces. Someone said, “It’s the future of book reading.”

Well, that got a huge “hrmph” from me. I didn’t want to hear anymore about it. Not a word. What is this world coming to? Why does everything have to be bigger/smaller, stronger, faster? Why? I’d rather have a good old tome in my hands any day. A Kindle doesn’t look good on a shelf or smell like paper or have a groovy cover.

But…

Then I started noticing things…..


Everyone seems to have one.

And I mean, everyone.








Some have even more than one.

I admit I’ve started to become a bit more curious about it. I mean… I’m thinking about it more. You know. Just checking it out. Does that make me a traitor? I sort of feel like it does! I'm feeling rather guilty!

Kindle. v. to call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses). Evoke, raise, provoke to fuel or ignite. To spark. Yes, well, it’s certainly doing all that.

It’s not like I have to have one. per se. I’m not quite ready to give in just yet.

5 comments:

hanner said...

My dad--an English major, book man, and purist--owns a Kindle and can't get enough of it.

But he also loves new toys. So...

tipi tai said...

i was actually just going to comment on Harry's Kindle. He got it before his long trip to South America so he could keep up on his summer reading without hauling around so many books. The man has also on his third iPhone. He loves gadgets... and breaking them.

Suzie said...

Your dad has one? That's so cool! I've heard that they're great for travel (not that that I travel a lot). Does he find he uses it at home as well? I wonder also, if he feels like he wants to own Both the downloaded book as well as the physical copy. I just love having the actual books so much. That's probably what I'm having the hardest time with. (If I could download the scriptures and church lesson manuals and publications, I'd Love that). I'm really thinking I want one. But I also really want to make sure I'd use it.

Diane said...

You can do that, get the scriptures and your lesson and a place to jot down your notes. I understand what you mean about having the book, it is just so, well, it is good. However, I think you would really like some kind of a device to have your lesson prep easily evailable. I had not thought of that. I think someone might need to talk to an elf in your behalf or something.

Before I left the island a lady who had PCS'd back and forth a couple of times took me aside in Surfway and cautioned me about getting "caught up" in all of the latest toys and inventions. Gimmicky things, I think she called them. I need to get word to her that I actually love them all.

This is the second time in a week that I have heard about the kindle. I think it is a way cool idea. You know, for some books that you might want to read but don't really have to own?

Suzie said...

I can't think of a book that I might want to read but don't really have to own. (and somehow i doubt that church publications are on the kindle list). today (and i seem to be fluctuating daily about this) i'm thinking that i think i need to own one because i'm Thinking about it obsessively. and also the fact that it would be sorta cool if i had one. and That's not a reason to spend $350. besides, i'd rather have a wall tv in my bedroom. but ask me tomorrow. i might change my mind again.