Friday, January 16, 2009

Charity never faileth with Dianna

You missed the fun today.

A homeless/toothless (pretty scary) man came into the office today to borrow some gas and tell me his girlfriend woes. He asked for a man who drives trucks for us (of course the man was not available). For about 15 minutes, he ranted about his girlfriend who dumped him for another guy. I kept calling the guys in the back to see if anyone had a gas canister so I could get this man on his way to enjoy his Friday. He was pretty dirty (his hands had no original skin color, they were completely dirty black) as well as. he was loud and stinky.

I kept praying that I could be Christ-like and feel "the charity" for this disheveled human being. I looked into his little dirty face at his green eyes, hoping to feel calmness. I hoped that I could see the side of him that God sees.

You know those anonymous emails about the lady who feeds the 2 homeless guys in McDonald's etc? I wanted to be like that so I could share my experience with you girls and wax spiritual at the end of it..."When ye have done it unto the least of these..." So while I kept praying, he kept getting louder and louder and his language more vulgar (I also had to stay calm or I'd lose control of my gag reflex). My co-worker, Pat, kept pitty-patting back and forth to get me help. Then, she called and kept me on the phone, so I wouldn't have to deal with him. Finally, one of the men came in and sent him on his merry way (with no gas, I might add). I never did see the side of him that God sees.

I had thought about giving him money, but he'd just come back for more. The man he had been looking for, later called me and mentioned he knew the guy and he's always "barely staying out of the penitentiary." He also apologized for the man having bothered me.

So here's the deal:

When the opportunity arises to give another person help and no matter how great the story would be for the email or even a church talk, if you are not getting an answer to your prayer, and feeling "the charity," get yourself out. Don't just stay in a situation, like I did, get yourself up, pick up your belongings and go sit in your car...doors locked, 'til the situation is over. Also, don't leave it to the men in the office to get you out of a mess. You can even politely open the front door and tell him, you can't help him. But don't just sit there being polite and trying to follow some fool's story.

If you are the receptionist, always, and I mean always, keep Febreze at your desk. I've done it for years. (Once one of my co-workers gave me some for Christmas and thought he was funny...best present I've ever gotten at an office party.)

I am so grateful (I'm waxing spiritually here) to live in a day where we have soap. Can you imagine living in the 13th century where the rich people had to wear perfume in their rings, so that when stinky people approached, they could stick their ring under their noses and smell the perfume? (Come to think of it, where do I get one...ha.) We have washing machines and hot running water (and Lysol for those around us who don't).

I just thought that while this is not one of those teary-eyed emails, I did learn something today and wanted to pass it along.

Everyone have a great weekend!

Love,
Di

1 comment:

Annie said...

wow. that is a tuff call. you did the right thing and gave us some good advice. there is such a thing as personal safety and common sense. thanks!