Only the groundhog really knows. And I'm not talking about all those prevaricating prognosticators out there (like Warton Willey in Canada. Who does he think he is?!). I mean the one and only Punxsutawney Phil. Phil is one amazing guy. Did you know he lives in the Punxsutawney Library in a specially designed habitat? He lives with his wife, Phyllis, and his cousin Barney. He loves dog food and ice cream. He's met the president. He's been on Oprah. He has his own website. He's 130 years old (thanks to the secret 'elixir of life' he drinks every summer at the Groundhog Picnic. Just one sip gives him 7 more years of life!). Those guys in the top hats are called, "The Inner Circle", and are in charge of all things Phil. His little burrow on Gobbler's Knob is heated, and Phil arrives only 1 hour before "show time." He's even been to my little library and created quite a stir. ;)
Oh, I could tell you more about my friend Phil, but I'll leave that for you to discover. It's one of my fondest hopes, to be able to go to Punxsutawney for Groundhog Weekend some day... it sounds like a blast. So in just a couple of days, we'll be watching Phil. I'll bet he sees his shadow.
There are all kinds of fun stories about Phil (some are just plain made up), but some of my favorites are....

The Story of Punxsutawney Phil, "The Fearless Forecaster"
Punxsutawney Phyllis
Geoffrey Groundhog Predicts the Weather


3 comments:
Let's book it for next year. Seriously.
I somewhere have P. Phillis in my classroom...it's a cute little spin off!
Very cute post. My own experience with P. is vicarious as in the movie, "Groundhog Day".
Post a Comment