It's the title of my new book.Was it because of the era she lived in that she wouldn't discuss certain things? Or is it this way with mothers of any era? Is it intentional? Or did they try and we were too busy being 20 or 30 and it not apply to us so we didn't listen?
Suddenly, as I'm on the eve of my "late 40's" (oy), I feel I'm the brunt of a joke that everyone knows about except me. "Welcome to the club!" Then they laugh. It's horrifying.
Am I doomed to be one of those middle aged women with plastic fans clipped to their desks, who discuss hot flashes and night sweats like we used to discuss labor pains? Seriously. Just shoot me now and get it over with. Labor lasts mere hours. Menopause lasts years. (And noooo, my mother never told me that either).
And while this hasn't exactly been my favorite past two months, most especially this past week, I've decided one thing. If your mother isn't talking, I have absolutely no problem breaking her silence. Pull up a chair. I'll tell you anything you're ready to know.
2 comments:
Oh my dear, we still have a few things to cover!
Don't you think it is like we have
been on a "need to know" basis?
(I love, love your newest look.)
No, not to worry, there isn't anything more. You have been through the worst of it. However, I think I 've been one of the lucky ones...no hot flashes, no mood swings (at least, in my opinion), just a done deal with the "monthly". So, hopefully, you will be as lucky :)
Post a Comment