Today was Grandparents Day at Susan B. Anthony Elementary School. I always have several grandparents come to the library for a tour, but today I looked up when I heard a small gasp. A grandmother was sitting at the table holding "Stone Soup" in her hands and she said, "I remember this book from when I was a little girl!" She smiled with pure delight as she reread this story from her youth. So why children's books when you're all grown up? This grandmother is why. And watching her today is a reaffirmation that "when you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does."
And if you're interested, I've got a great book suggestion about Grandparent's Day...
3 comments:
I loved it when Grandparents would come to school to read. Actually, they would come all through the year when they came to visit family or friends on the island. The kids always thought it was just the best.
I love that book too. That is why my parents kept certain books from Kwaj, because I made them. Like my Roald Dahls.
Oh, I could write an ode to chidren's books, how to teach from them, learn from them as a child and as an adult, the magic, the excitement and the look on my students faces as they find a story they can connect with...I love LOVE LOVE childrens books! Daniel is always trying to get me to read "grown up" books, and I have started to, but never will I grow out of children's books.
Post a Comment