Sunday, February 24, 2008

Potter News

This week, producer David Barron confirmed that there will be one new “pivotal” scene added for the sixth Harry Potter film, set at The Burrow, that wasn’t in the book. He says it was added with J.K. Rowling’s full blessing.

“We don’t often have things that aren’t in the book, but this was brought in because Jo (Rowling) was able throughout the quite lengthy book to keep dropping little snippets of what was happening in the outside world-there’d be people reading newspapers and talking about how somebody’s parents had been killed or somebody had been withdrawn from school because their parents didn’t think it was safe. And we’re made aware that the Muggle world is also experiencing these disasters, but thinks they are disasters rather than the work of Voldemort. The book is peppered with those moments, but we couldn’t do that quite so easily in the film. So (the extra scene) comes in the middle of the film and it just reminds us the world is no longer a safe place. Even in what would normally be considered the safe haven of the Burrow, nobody’s safe. I think you’ll like it. It’s quite effective.”

The thing with the Potter films is that you have to look at them separately from the book. If not, you’ll rip your hair out and leave the theatre with a headache from screaming at the screen, “THAT NEVER HAPPENED!” And I’ve personally learned that I’ll never go to another Potter film with my friend, Amy, who’s a rabid Potter fan, for that very reason. It was embarrassing!

My advice? Enjoy the films for their own sake. They’re very good! And so what if they don’t make sense without seeing the movie? Why do people whine about that? READ THE BOOKS!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is due in theaters November 21, 2008.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I know, I should always read the book because those Potter movies have a tendency to put me to sleep!

Suzie said...

(Gasp!) I can Not believe you said that! Especially when EVERY movie tends to put you to sleep!

Bonnie said...

Hey, I am one of those annoying people who hate the movies made from books. I don't hate them per say, I just like the books so much better. Always. I think I have to take your advice and try to appreciate the movie for the movies sake, and love the books for what they are. For instance, now that I've read the first 2 Harry Potters to Spencer (on our drive), he is now crazy about the first two movies, because he already knows the stories.

Carrie said...

Yes, I agree. it's taken me until Valentine's when I got HP #5 to realize, but I digress...to enjoy the Harry Potter films without driving yourself insanse because of what "REALLY HAPPENED" in the book, you have to appreciate the movies just for what they are and the artistic spin the writers/directors had, with JK's support and consent throughout the making. With that said, I was STILL disappointed in the twin's departure from school in the film. It could have been so much better!