Tonight I received one of the greatest shocks of my life. The Time Lady has ended her iconic reign of the telephone wires. And to what end, I ask you? Needing the exact time, we called her a while ago and this is what she had to say for herself: "Effective September 19, 2007, the time announcement information service has been discontinued. We apologize for any inconvenience."
But why?! I thought she'd always be there. Even if I ignored her. I am ashamed that her 'passing' happened nearly one year ago without my knowledge. If I'd known, I surely would have called her one last time for old time's sake. I trusted her to give it to me straight. And now, how will I ever know what time it really is?
The Time Lady was an icon of my youth. Tirelessly working 24/7, giving the time to people who couldn't afford a watch or were too introverted to ask someone in the room what time it was. You could dial 853 (from Southern California) and then any other four numbers you want, and she'd talk to you!
I remember when I was like.... 12...or younger... calling the Time Lady with my friends, and while waiting for her to pick up, you could hear others on the line ~ a true party line! She'd start speaking and we'd quick hang up and dial again and start talking to everyone in the background again! And then, who hasn't called the Time Lady at midnight on New Year's Eve? (Like we expected her to wish us Happy New Year or something?) Ah. The memories.
The Time Lady is gone. What's next?
At the tone the time will be 10:47. Exactly. Beeeeep!
2 comments:
I am floored! It is really sad, I agree. Kind of makes you think.
I didn't know that you could dial 853 and then any four. How did you know that?
And I am sorry I never heard her New Year's greeting. (I guess I am always asleep.)
her new year's greeting went like this:
"At the tone, the time will be, 12 o'clock. Exactly. Beeeeep!"
Post a Comment