Pioneer Day usually brings my thoughts to my faithful and courageous pioneer ancestors, most notably my great, great grandmother, MaryAnn Weston Maughan.She was an amazing woman. She endured so much more than I think I ever could. Remembering their sacrifices and how they endured to the end, can help us be better people.
Here is a small excerpt from her journal:
We were Organised into Captain William Walls [Wall] Company of 50 and Cap [Warren] Foot[e] Com of 100. Mr. [Peter] Maughan was apointed Cap of first 10[.] after replenishing our stock of provisions we again took up our line of march for Salt Lake[.] I do
Friday 12 July 1850
about noon as we were traveling along on a good plain road my little Peter about 3 years old, was sitting in the front of my wagon, betwene his brother Charles and his sister Mary Ann. they were looking at a cow that had lost one horn. he leaned forward[.] lost his balance and fell before the wheels. the first passed over him. and he tried to escape the other one, but alase the wagon stoped just as the hind wheel stood on his dear little Back. the Brethren from behind ran up and lifted the wheel and took him from under it[.] he was Brused internaly, so that it was impossible for him to live long[.] we done all that was possible for him, but no earthly power could save him. he did not suffer much pain[.] only twice for a very little time. the people left their Wagons and gathered around mine and all wept for the dear little Boy that we knew must soon leave us. I had talked to him many times to be carefull and not fall out of the wagon or he might be hurt very bad. he only spoke twice, I said to him Pete did you fall and he said, yes and seemed to know that he would leave us and asked for his father. I did not know that his father had fainted and fell down in the road, for the Brethern stood to hide him from my sight. on my asking for him they said he would come soon. as soon as he was able he came to the wagon covered with dust, but his little Boy could not speak to him, but he opened his eyes and looked so lovelingly
2 comments:
Suzie, this is so touching. You are very lucky to have access to this journal. What a treasure!
Oh how sad. I can not imagine what those poor saints must have gone through. How blessed you are to have such a wonderful woman as your grandmother and her great testimony. Thanks so much for sharing.
Post a Comment