Friday, March 7, 2008

Junie B.

There's nothing better than a Junie B. Jones book. Barbara Park is a genius. I'd be hard pressed to have to pick a favorite, but I just finished reading Junie B. Jones and A Little Monkey Business to a group of 6th graders. I was laughing so hard I was crying, and the teacher had to leave the library to compose herself. Why 6th grade? Well, the books are great for 1st and 2nd to read on their own, but the upper grades love listening to them. There's a little Junie B. in everyone I guess.

I don't subscribe to the flawed theory many have about the unsuitability of the books due to Junie's poor grammar. Spare me. These books are not going to teach little Betsy to pick up bad habits.

Skinnybones is another great pick by Barbara Park. This book is hysterical! Check it out. You'll love it, and so will every 4th grader on the planet.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh, yes, we love Junie B! Of course you know that I have also loved Ramona Quimby for many a year. What do you think the literary world would be like if the two of them met in real life?

Carrie said...

I have read Junie B. but have not read it to my students...I tried last year to read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle and Ramona to the class and found without pictures, they just weren't interested. Have you found any chapter books you can read to kindergarteners?

Suzie said...

You can read Junie B. to Kinder if you do the voices... if you must. Depends on the class really. There's also Nate the Great books. (Have them make detective hats out of construction paper and give them a little magnifying glass for an activity before you read it). But you're right. You've got to have pictures. Lot's of them. Kinders usually have the attention span of a gnat, and I'd pass on the chapter books.