Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring Has Sprung

I’ve tried not to do more book suggestion posts, but I simply can’t resist. (Sorry Sue!)

Please tell me you own this wonderful story that is a favorite in our house.

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes by DuBose Heyward

DuBose Heyward’s name may seem familiar to some of you. He was author of the first American folk opera written in collaboration with the Gershwins – Porgy and Bess!

Heyward would also invent stories for his little daughter. She loved bunnies, so many of the stories were about rabbits. The Easter when Jenifer was five, her father invented a special bunny story. It was about a country bunny that was kind, good, wise, and swift. The Grandfather Bunny made her one of his five Easter Bunnies. She endured great hardships and was given a pair of golden shoes which were reserved for the bravest of bunnies.

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes has also been transformed into a ballet due to debut next spring!


Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Candace Fleming

Kids love to help read this one aloud. It’s a favorite!


Tippy, tippy, tippy, Pat!

That's the sound three hungry bunnies make when the sun goes down and the moon comes up and Mr. McGreely's garden smells yum, yum, yummy. While he's dreaming of his mouth-watering carrots, the bunnies are diving over fences and swimming trenches to get the veggies first!

Hammer, hammer, hammer, Saw!

That's the sound Mr. McGreely makes when the sun comes up and the moon goes down and he sees what those twitch-whiskers have done....Nibbled leaves! Empty stalks! Mr. McGreely will build something bigger and better, sure to keep even pesky puff-tails away.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I just got to check the blogs tonight for the first time in a week and wow, so much to catch up on! It will be four more days, really until I can really get caught up. But in the meantime, I am thinking about you!

Carrie said...

Someone has given us The Runaway Bunny as a baby present, and I think a stuffed bunny to go with it!