Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Midnight Sun...set.

So I'm sure everyone's already heard...

Stephenie Meyer put her 264 unfinished "messy and flawed and full of mistakes" pages of Midnight Sun (Twilight, from Edward's point of view) on her website. Apparently she gave a copy of the manuscript out (duh) and 'somehow' it got leaked online. Now the author is too distraught to write the remainder of the book.

(Insert face palm here).

Ooooh don't make me say it. Okay. Fine! I'll say it! I spent an entire day at school last Friday (There were no kids. It was an S day. Don't judge me! It was "research".) reading the manuscript. It was really, really good. In fact, it was so good, that I felt it was better than Twilight. It was all about the Cullens and none of the icky Jacob part (which I didn't like anyway). It was quite good -- despite the "messy, flawed, and full of mistakes" writing. It was good enough, that I would have stood in line until midnight again (sans the vampire teeth) just to own my copy. It was good enough to make me want to read Twilight again. So, yeah. It was good.

I'm sure she was distraught. I'm sure she was crushed. I'll not judge that. How could I? But perhaps (and I'm about to be rather insensitive), well.... so what? Doesn't she know that those who are fans... real fans... the kind who wear "Team Edward" shirts to book store releases at midnight... will read those books over and over and over again? They won't care if they've already read 264 pages of "flawed" writing. They won't care.

However, (I'm about to be rude, antagonistic, insensitive, and quite possibly mean) it is possible, that in light of the really lousy reviews Breaking Dawn received, that she needed a bit of... attention? A virtual hug? Message boards have been flooded... "Poor Stephenie! How dreadful! We understand! Take all the time you need! You're our favorite author! Your books are wonderful! We love you!!!!"

Perhaps some day she'll get over it and finish up a really good book. Hopefully so. And then, like Bella, she can say to her critics and manuscript leakers alike, "Bite me."

1 comment:

Diane said...

Wow. I didn't know.