Monday, September 8, 2008

September is Apples

September is apple time. When I was a kid, I remember being dragged to the orchards to pick apples. An Indian Summer…. The crisp scent of apples filling the air… Dad wearing his straw hat with the plastic lemons perched on top while climbing on a ladder… and mom straw bossing from the sidelines. We worked hard, but we knew that fresh apple cider was a reward at the end of the day. Ah, the memories.

Pffft. In reality, it was hotter than sin, there were bugs everywhere, and I probably complained the entire time. But in honor of September, here are some of my favorite apple recipes.


Baked Apples

2 apples, cored 4 teaspoons chopped dried fruit, such as cranberries, raisins or dates4 teaspoons chopped toasted nuts, such as pecans, walnuts or almonds1 teaspoon honey Pinch of cinnamon1/2 cup apple cider1/4 cup plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. 2. Combine fruit, nuts, honey and cinnamon; spoon into the apples. Place the apples in a small baking dish and pour apple cider around them. Cover with foil. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes. Serve topped with yogurt.

Makes 2 servings, 1 apple and 2 tablespoons yogurt each.


NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 165 calories

Apple Confit

You can freeze it for snacks. It takes little time to put together, then becomes meltingly tender in the slow cooker. Top with low-fat vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of toasted walnuts for dessert. Serve with low-fat yogurt and granola or muesli for breakfast.

3 pounds firm cooking/baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Rome or Golden Delicious

1/4 cup sugar

1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. (You should have about 9 cups.) Place the apples in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste, and toss to coat well. Cover and cook until the apples are very tender and almost translucent, but not pureed, 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (or for up to 4 days).
Makes 8 servings, about 1/2 cup each.
Per serving: 98 calories

And because I'm a librarian... here's the best treat of all:

4 comments:

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

HOW DANG YUMMY ALL OF THAT LOOKS! I would LOVE some!
And too cute with the READ on the apples!

Diane said...

You are always so good at decorating, even here! Love your new look.

Diane said...

Oh, and now I love it even more! You look great!

..also love those memories of fall apple picking. I must have been away at school. :)

Carrie said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG MAKEOVER! And the recipes sound great, I will be trying them!