Sunday, November 2, 2008

Glow and Behold

Candles... (I'm having a Martha Moment)

When decorating for the holidays, one of the things that I'm a big fan of is mixing natural things with china, silver, and crystal. I'll stick pine cones in a Waterford bowl, pile red pears and pomegranates in a silver Revere bowl, and mixed nuts on a silver compote. It adds warmth and isn't as fussy looking.

When using tapers, never be afraid to mix and match the candlesticks. It's more interesting that way!

Use floral wire to string together evergreens or cranberries to create your own candle rings.

And who says you have to put candles on your candlesticks? I've used pears, apples, and even ornaments on my candlesticks. Mixing and matching is half the fun!

(We had a family friend years ago who had a complete set of mismatched goblets. Every one was different! It was the coolest thing ever. It was always fun to see who would get which goblet each time they were used. She never had to make up her mind on just one pattern, and when one broke? No worries about finding a replacement!)

A thought for all those Kwaj neclaces... why not turn them into candle and napkin rings? That would be cool.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I should have a Marshallese table this year for Christmas. Good idea, those shell necklaces need some purpose over here.