Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Gulliver’s Creamed Corn

Gulliver’s was one of Dad’s favorite places to eat. He loved anything British and Gulliver’s certainly evokes the images of 18th century England, Jonathan Swift, the adventures of Captain Lemuel Gulliver, and the gracious hospitality of an English roadside inn. Prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, and Gulliver’s Creamed Corn make up the traditional Christmas dinner at out house, but Creamed Corn is a favorite for Thanksgiving as well. So here you go ~ in honor of Dad, Thanksgiving, and everything British.

Gulliver’s Creamed Corn

Ingredients
2 pkgs. (20 oz) Frozen Kernel Corn
8 oz. (1/2 pt.) Whipping Cream
8 oz. (1/2 pt.) Homogenized Milk
1 tsp. Salt
6 tsp. Sugar
Pinch White or Cayenne Pepper
2 tbsp. melted Butter
2 tbsp. Flour

Method:
Combine all ingredients except last two in a pot and bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Blend butter with flour, add to the corn, mix well and remove from heat.

Variation:
Put finished corn in heat proof casserole, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place under a broiler until evenly browned. Serves 8.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Three posts? Three? I am gone one day from the computer and you post three times?? Sheesh, you are prolific. However, good things to say.

All of you readers out there, you NEED to make that Creamed Corn. We seriously loved it. It can make any day a special one.

I went to a gathering last week at a lady's house and she had a baked corn dish that everyone was raving about. I had some and it was good, but this is better.

Bonnie said...

Thank you Suzie! I LOVE this creamed corn and I only have it when you post it. Note to self: Save the recipe. We made this last year at our St. George gathering, and we had so much left over I was eating it for days.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

THANK YOU! THIS SOUNDS SOO GOOD! I am going to make this!